Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Diverse Coffee

I know I mentioned this quote in class, but I just wanted to say it again because I know Deb really enjoyed it. As she said in class, "Starbucks sponsors our class, eh?"

"People need to see that, far from being an obstacle, the world's diversity of languages, religions and traditions is a great treasure, affording us precious opportunities to recognize ourselves in others." -Youssou N'Dour Musician

I think this quote is really relevant to our class because it explains that diversity is not something we need to overcome in our lives, but rather it is something we should embrace and appreciate. We are so lucky to be able to experience so many different cultures in our country. We should all consider ourselves blessed to live in a world where so many people are able to live together in harmony.

3 comments:

  1. I was really glad when you brought this quote up in class! Starbucks often has really good inspiration quotes or at least some interesting notes to think about on the back of our cups. The quote you mentioned above is definitely relevant to class and thank goodness you noticed it and shared it; but how many times a day do we all miss things like that? How many other inspirational messages does our culture miss because we are too busy to stop and look? Thanks for taking the time to see what was really in front of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this quote! Like you mentioned, I think that it is very relevant to our class. I think it is very important that we remember to embrace our pasts and allow it to help who we become in the future. Go Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this quote you mentioned! I always love getting my weekly Starbucks because I feel that every time I do, I am enlightened with a new quote that even if it is for one quick second, gets me to think about something beyond my life that day. I really like that this quote focuses on EMBRACING diversity. Not just having to "live" with it!

    ReplyDelete